Posted By Jared Barboza, 18, September, 2014, in fragcast
FragCast is a weekly podcast where the founders of Frag Castle Games talk about the latest progress on their games, the video game industry, pop culture and the ups and downs of running a super-small, lean startup.
In This Episode
We go a little longer than usual but this episode is full of good things: Jared and John discuss
- our experiences with post-goal depression, and why we stopped working on our game Rock Kickass after we submitted to Boston Festival of Indie Games
- working on a new game: Death Hole is helping us get back into the groove and overcome the PGD
- this is a discussion about designing board games, but the quote and discussion are relevant: “Your first 10 games are going to suck.” http://www.bgdf.com/node/1771
- Rachel Presser, CFO from http://www.himalayastudios.com/ gave a great talk on basics of business geared towards indies who are looking to incorporate or start a partnership. Seek her out for more talks, she speaks in both NYC and Boston.
- Boston FIG was a great festival, basically a PAX East for Indies. If you are an indie or involved with the indie scene in boston/new england area you need to attend this event next year.
- We played a great action platformer Blood Alloy: check out the devs postmortem on BFIG here: http://suppressivefiregames.tumblr.com/post/97596237338/boston-festival-of-indie-games-a-postmortem
- Some of the lightning talks were awesome and some just shouldn’t have been there in our opinion
- @ElizabethMaler gave a great talk about play testing a game, how to conduct the actual play test with the users.
- Here is a link to our Rock Kickass demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a75ohTaMbs
- We haven’t been focusing a lot on Game Feel / Game Play in our games. And it shows. Our artwork is always given kudos but our games feel detached, disconnected. We realized that almost all of the games at BFIG looked at art as a secondary task. They put gameplay first and it shows.
- Game Art Tip from @codeimpossible - always add an idle animation
- We briefly mentioned this review of goat simulator during our discussion of soda drinker pro: http://indiegamerchick.com/2014/07/13/goat-simulator/
- Jared is playing Game Dev Story, A Dark Room and minecraft
- John is playing Tsum Tsum, Revolution 60 and Bioshock Infinite
Legal Beagle Stuff
Opening Song by RoccoW - “Create A Song in A Day Challenge #1”. This song is shared under a Attribution Share A like 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) license. We sampled a 20 second clip from the middle of his awesome track to open our podcast. RoccoW does not in any way endorse our podcast. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by the Hosts of FragCast are theres and theres alone.